ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voice Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aambury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voice Issues
    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 12:07pm
Firstly does anybody have an issue with altitude voice commands?

I ask for 8000 and the VR reads it as 800 every time. Very annoying to the the extent that I have to say FL80 instead. I know that I have a bit of an English UK southern accent, but I have tried pronouncing 'Thousand' in different ways with no success. Anybody else have the same problem.

Secondly, why cant the VR be as good as say Amazon Alexa? Is it a computing power thing?

and finally I notice that when handing off an aircraft and I add "Good day" to the end of the command, the VR will not respond. The pilots must think me very rude especially when they respond with a 'Good day' Confused

Daffy
hnorgaar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hnorgaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 1:45pm
I use "maintain eight thousand", works every time

Henrik
aambury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aambury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 12:02pm
Yes I use "Descend and maintain eight thousand" The VR reads it as hundred not thousand every time.....Cry
Daffy
apd1004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd1004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 1:05pm
I say "tousand" with the hard "t" and usually have better success than saying "thousand". Back years ago (decades actually) when I learned radio procedures in the army, I have discovered that the same pronunciations work very well in ATC Pro. Another example is saying "fife" instead of "five".

Another thing some don't know is anything 18,000 and above is referred to as flight level instead of thousands of feet. 18,000 is flight level one eight zero.

Hope that helps
aambury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aambury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 10:02am
Thanks for the tips...

Due to my accent (Southern England) I was struggling with Thousands...

I did try the "T" approach without success...

I sorted it by saying"Zousand"

It works perfect for me.....
Daffy
apd1004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd1004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:14am
It's interesting that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. 

That being said, there are limitations with any computer voice recognition and actually I'm surprised ATC Pro works as well as it does.

My nemesis is getting the VR to pick up me saying DUMMM (dumm emz) from the ABQ map. It just won't do it no matter how many ways I say it. I always end up going keyboard with it.
apd1004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd1004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 11:48am
I just discovered what a big difference having a quality microphone makes. I picked up this Blue Snowball USB microphone for $50 and stopped using my headset mic. So far I haven't had a single problem with VR. It even recognized DUMMM for the first time ever.

Blue Snowball
Sath_99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sath_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 6:12am
Originally posted by apd1004 apd1004 wrote:

I just discovered what a big difference having a quality microphone makes. I picked up this Blue Snowball USB microphone for $50 and stopped using my headset mic. So far I haven't had a single problem with VR. It even recognized DUMMM for the first time ever.

Blue Snowball

Agree ! This one is a really good microphone with no setup.
Tom@FlagMountain View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom@FlagMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 12:13pm
Have said it before, but will say it again:  I have used a Microsoft Life Chat LX-4000 ($45 Amazon), since the inception of the ATCpro project.  Works like a charm.

Regards

Tom
Tom Murdock
Flag Mountain Software
ATCpro Project Team
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic