ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Training Resources

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 12:47pm
Bill,   Maybe later I would be able to do that.  But as I have only had the program for less than a week, I am still finding out myself what it can and cannot do.  Or right now, what I can and cannot say.  When now busy I fall back into some faulty phraseology.  Contact tower now (?) 120.3.  Not good you know.  Still getting myself cleaned up sort of speak.
    But if you promise not to laugh too loud, I may give it a whirl......lol Wink
Retired ATC from KSTL
bill3810 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill3810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 2:53pm
Ken,

Yah no rush, I just thought it might be something we could use down the road as a benchmark to see how it's done.
I'm gonna be the first to make an arse of myself.  I'll put something together then you can critique me.  :-)

Unfortunately I don't have the perfect speaking voice and i'm a country boy so articulating isn't my strong point but for the most part they listen to what I have to say lol.
rcatcret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcatcret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 11:46am
ATC Radars are oriented to magnetic north. 

Edited by rcatcret - 22 Feb 2018 at 11:49am
Sim-Deck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sim-Deck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by bill3810 bill3810 wrote:

To chime in with Ken here and give props to the simulation, I don't know of another simulation out there that is specifically a simulation of a TRACON that allows you to hand off to other controllers within that airspace.  The way this is set up you have your airspace to work and you must keep the aircraft clear of other controllers airspace or hand off to them as they aircraft passes through or point out the aircraft to the controllers airspace and continue controlling.

I find this very enjoyable and although every simulation has growing pains this is by FAR the best I've ever used.  Another thing to work on is Flows.  Each time the airport is set up for a different flow, EAST, SOUTH NORTH etc... the airspace you are controlling and the surrounding airspace has different lateral and vertical boundaries and can make controlling more challenging. 

My approach to learning ATL is this.  I decided to control North Final in ATL (1V).  Granted I do have experience controlling online with various simulations and VATSIM but the amount of traffic was daunting.  So I selected a large amount of traffic and just watched the final controller.  This allowed me to see how the aircraft flowed into the final sector and how the controller handled them.

Then after watching for a bit, I became the final controller during a period of low traffic.  After I got comfortable I started selecting higher work loads.

When I was comfortable with North Final in a west flow RWY26R I went to the feeder that was sending me traffic (I didn't like the way he was sending them in sometimes so I thought I would see what all the hubbub was).  Then I just tried to do what the feeder was doing when they were sending me traffic as the final controller.  Of course I tried to make improvements the best I could.  Once I got that figured out I went to the South Final and did the same thing.

Starting as a final controller might not be the best approach for all but I thought i would start at the end and work my way back watching and learning as I go.

The absolute beauty about this simulation is you can select different sectors and control different areas.  You could have a blast with just tracon picking different flows, sectors, weather etc...  It's quite and amazing simulation.

Another thing too is you need to know your airspace or have references (ATC PRO has them) close by to learn where the different airports are, runways, approaches etc.

Ken as a RW controller it would a pleasure to watch you work at the scope in this simulation.  Can I talk you into working a session say for 30 - 60 minutes and recording it for others to watch you work?

I"m not a RW controller but i've messed with these simulations quite a bit and I feel pretty comfortable at the scope however i'm sure there are multiple things i'm doing incorrect.

I plan on recording a session for others to watch learn and probably laugh :-).

Bill

Great stuff. Many thanks.
Based in the UK. Passion for simulations. ATC-Flight-Combat Sims. Runner, Kayaker, Mountain Biker. My Sim Blog
kenatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 3:49pm
Bill copy and paste on you tube   https://youtu.be/oN5JWy8E7gk .   A laugh for you.
Retired ATC from KSTL
Tom@FlagMountain View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom@FlagMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 5:12pm
kenatc:

It is definitely a laugh.  YouTube says it can't find the video.

Regards
Tom Murdock
Flag Mountain Software
ATCpro Project Team
hnorgaar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hnorgaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 5:58am
Tom :

Do as he write, copy and paste, because the link use a small n and it should be a big N
Stooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 12:16pm
Here is the link using the Google URL Shortener service. 

The forum absolutely insists on changing the upper case N to a lower case. I tried using URL tags, CODE tags, and finally just decided to use goo.gl. I think it might be because oN it is auto-correcting it to the proper case of on as it may see the oN as the word "on".

Edited by Stooge - 26 Feb 2018 at 12:18pm
kenatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 5:25pm
tks stooge for the link.   never could get it to come  up right, that's the copy  and paste.
tks again for fixing it.
Retired ATC from KSTL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic