ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Training Resources

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrackerJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 7:12am
Thank you Seth!  Thats's the kind of stuff I was hoping to find!
Sim-Deck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sim-Deck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by ubtya ubtya wrote:

In the YouTube video the Seattle Tracon scope has magnetic north at the top.  ATCpro Seattle has true north at the top.  Is there a button or command to change this?

That's a good question did you find an answer to that?
Based in the UK. Passion for simulations. ATC-Flight-Combat Sims. Runner, Kayaker, Mountain Biker. My Sim Blog
Tom@FlagMountain View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom@FlagMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 6:26pm
Sim-Deck:
My scope tics show 160 degrees at the six o'clock position.  Since KSEA has a magnetic variation of 16.1 degrees East, this would indicate that magnetic north is, in fact, at the top of the scope for KSEA.

If you have something different, it needs to be investigated.

Regards

Tom Murdock
Tom Murdock
Flag Mountain Software
ATCpro Project Team
Sath_99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sath_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Tom@FlagMountain Tom@FlagMountain wrote:

Sim-Deck:
My scope tics show 160 degrees at the six o'clock position.

Tom Murdock

Mine too.
Is is possible to rotate the view, so that 180 degrees is at six o'clock ?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom@FlagMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 9:25pm
Sath_99:

Nope.  We follow the 7110 handbook specs.

Regards

Tom
Tom Murdock
Flag Mountain Software
ATCpro Project Team
Sath_99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sath_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Tom@FlagMountain Tom@FlagMountain wrote:

Sath_99:
 Nope.  We follow the 7110 handbook specs.
 Regards
 Tom

But when you look at this screenshot, you'll see that the runways are are 160 and 340 degrees. So that means that at 6 o'clock is 180 and at 12 o'clock is 360 degrees.

Screenshot taken from this video, and actual radar screen.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom@FlagMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 5:44pm
Sath_99:

Please post a screenshot which includes the compass rose.

Thanx

Tom
Tom Murdock
Flag Mountain Software
ATCpro Project Team
mlovetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlovetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 6:15pm
Guys, ATC issues vectors based on magnetic headings. Runways are aligned to magnetic courses. Those ticks are to aid in vectoring based on magnetic headings. So, if you want them to fly directly south, you'll give them a magnetic heading vector or 160, not 180. Trust me, this is correct.
kenatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:54am
Crackerjack,   If I would have known about this, I would have answered sooner.  A little back
ground.  I am retired from ATC.  Recently I was the Chief ATC of FS-MP an ATC organization of
FSX on line controllers.  Designing ways and docs for want-a-be controllers to get good experi-ance as a verbal and sim such as Vatsim or Boston Virtual.  There is only one difference from
doing this sim over those.  You are not talking to actual pilots flying a\c in a sim, you can pause any time you wish for whatever reason, to look something up, for example.  This makes it much easier to learn.  Here is the best way to get started.
        Learn how to set up the scope and the basics you might need, maps, weather, etc.
        You will have to have a few nicely made up pdf cards for phraseology and info about
        the airports.  It doesn't take that long to look over the info provided.
    1. Start out with departures (dept).  So you don't need arrivals (arrvl) or satilite traffic.
            That means no corporate (corp), general aviation (GA), or military (mil).  Just
            Commerical airlines.  Now this depends on the airport.  Some may not have any
            airlines.
            Basic needs: 7110.65 radar separation
    2.  Work that traffic until you get familiar  with the phaseology.  These a\c are entrail and
         vectored on course and climbed to the service altitudes for the ATC facility you are
         working at.
         Learning curve: how to vector, intercept, climb, and handoff (hd) to adjacent facilities.
    3.  Next, work the same aircraft, as arrivals only.  Keep in mind here,  if a controller is busy
         they will not have time to point out traffic, or the airport, or worry whether the a\c is
         going to do what they are suppose to do.  YOU VECTOR FOR AND INSTRUMENT
         APPROACH (aprch)  ILS or VOR, RNAV, etc.
         Learning curve:  how to put a\c in line at proper interval or separation, turn on require-
         ments for the type of aprch.  NOTE, the approach gate of an aprch is 1 NM outside the
         final aprch fix or 5 NM from the runway (rw) which ever is farthest from  the airport.

Now that you have most of the phraseology that you will be using you can go to:
      4. Dept and arr mixed.  Keep it to a minimum amount of traffic, because now you have to
          figure out how to get the arr to the aprch are with out running into the dept.
      5. Increase the traffic until you feel comfortable with the full load.
      6.  Now do the same 1-5 with corp, ga and maybe some mil mix.
      7.  Now just the Satilite airports.

In this sim you have a great advantage in that you can set up your program to what, where
  and how much.  You can pause, to gain info on what you need or are doing.
    In the "sandbox mode" you can even pick a larger facility like KATL to do nothing but turn
  on to final to practice how to get a\c 3 or 5 miles apart.
    Things you can use:  Google:  FAA airspace,  7110.65 FAA bible, Airnav.com (airport info)

Hope this helps you and anyone else that wants to try your hand with out becoming and
    ace ATC all  at once.  NO YOU CANNOT WORK ALL AT ONCE, WAY TOO MUCH INFO.
    BUT YOU CAN LEARN SOME AND BECOME ACCOMPLISHED TO A POINT.

No one said you have to do all to enjoy yourself....................SmileSmileSmile!
       Anyone wanting help on a training scenario, just let me know, would be glad to help.

Retired ATC from KSTL
bill3810 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill3810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:22am
To chime in with Ken here and give props to the simulation, I don't know of another simulation out there that is specifically a simulation of a TRACON that allows you to hand off to other controllers within that airspace.  The way this is set up you have your airspace to work and you must keep the aircraft clear of other controllers airspace or hand off to them as they aircraft passes through or point out the aircraft to the controllers airspace and continue controlling.

I find this very enjoyable and although every simulation has growing pains this is by FAR the best I've ever used.  Another thing to work on is Flows.  Each time the airport is set up for a different flow, EAST, SOUTH NORTH etc... the airspace you are controlling and the surrounding airspace has different lateral and vertical boundaries and can make controlling more challenging. 

My approach to learning ATL is this.  I decided to control North Final in ATL (1V).  Granted I do have experience controlling online with various simulations and VATSIM but the amount of traffic was daunting.  So I selected a large amount of traffic and just watched the final controller.  This allowed me to see how the aircraft flowed into the final sector and how the controller handled them.

Then after watching for a bit, I became the final controller during a period of low traffic.  After I got comfortable I started selecting higher work loads.

When I was comfortable with North Final in a west flow RWY26R I went to the feeder that was sending me traffic (I didn't like the way he was sending them in sometimes so I thought I would see what all the hubbub was).  Then I just tried to do what the feeder was doing when they were sending me traffic as the final controller.  Of course I tried to make improvements the best I could.  Once I got that figured out I went to the South Final and did the same thing.

Starting as a final controller might not be the best approach for all but I thought i would start at the end and work my way back watching and learning as I go.

The absolute beauty about this simulation is you can select different sectors and control different areas.  You could have a blast with just tracon picking different flows, sectors, weather etc...  It's quite and amazing simulation.

Another thing too is you need to know your airspace or have references (ATC PRO has them) close by to learn where the different airports are, runways, approaches etc.

Ken as a RW controller it would a pleasure to watch you work at the scope in this simulation.  Can I talk you into working a session say for 30 - 60 minutes and recording it for others to watch you work?

I"m not a RW controller but i've messed with these simulations quite a bit and I feel pretty comfortable at the scope however i'm sure there are multiple things i'm doing incorrect.

I plan on recording a session for others to watch learn and probably laugh :-).

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic