ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Training Resources

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrackerJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Resources
    Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 7:02am
I've been watching this closely since its release.  My only hesitation in picking this up is the steepness of the learning curve.  I've watched the videos but it would seem that they only scratch the surface of ATC procedures.  What I don't want to do is read a massive government manual to learn the proper procedures.  The included documentation appears to focus on equipment operation and then the limited examples in the videos.  I'm happy to put effort into learning ATC procedures but it would be nice to do it in a structured way that would make the process enjoyable rather than a grind.

If there are any users who are ATC noobs then I would like to know what your experience has been.  How have you climbed the hill of knowledge?  Any suggestions for training would be appreciated.

Cheers!
CalmTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalmTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 9:48am
Hello

I think if you are interested in ATC then this will be a very immersive way to get into it. I agree the tutorials are pretty basic and don't deal with many of the situations you will encounter. One of the first planes I encountered in my first session was an aircraft going to one of the satellite fields and I had no idea of the proper procedure for getting them to the airport.

However I look on the learning process as a big aspect of running the sim. I think by watching the AI controllers, and following and using the support forum, it will all start to become second nature at which point the enjoyment of the sim will come from using that knowledge to deal with more complex and difficult shifts.

The documentation is extensive and provides a lot of information but won't answer all of your questions. I also hope that as time permits the developers will add to the tutorials.

Good luck with your decision.

Tom

Sim-Deck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sim-Deck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 10:53am
Learning simulations like this for me is what it's all about. If it was easy I wouldn't bother doing it. The challenge is the point of it.

Don't just sit on the periphery because it looks a bit hard get in there and give it a try otherwise you will never know.

Edited by Sim-Deck - 29 Feb 2016 at 11:28am
Based in the UK. Passion for simulations. ATC-Flight-Combat Sims. Runner, Kayaker, Mountain Biker. My Sim Blog
pilot_ngb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pilot_ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 11:10am
This is how the professionals handle SEA FIN

FAA Private Pilot. Logged ASEL/ASES hours in US (AZ, OR, CA & WA), UK and Ireland. Passion for #ATC #Aviation #Hockey #Golf.
Sim-Deck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sim-Deck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 11:28am
Great video thanks for the link.
Based in the UK. Passion for simulations. ATC-Flight-Combat Sims. Runner, Kayaker, Mountain Biker. My Sim Blog
CrackerJack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrackerJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 11:59am
Its not that I'm adverse to learning, like you Sim-Deck I enjoy the challenge.  My favorite sims are what I would call learning sims, DCS, PMDG 737 etc.  The issue that prompted my post was with the available resources to provide the learning challenge.  For the sims I noted above there is a wealth of resources available to assist with the challenge.  What I was hoping to find out is if there is anything besides the PDFs and the basic videos provided with ATCPro that is instructional in nature.
Sath_99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sath_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 1:05pm
Check this out to see how Center works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGU2pUeMk38

Edited by Sath_99 - 01 Mar 2016 at 3:16am
ubtya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubtya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 2:26pm
In the YouTube video the Seattle Tracon scope has magnetic north at the top.  ATCpro Seattle has true north at the top.  Is there a button or command to change this?

MarkHargrove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkHargrove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 5:43pm
Well -- that's certainly inspiring!  Thanks for the link.
Sath_99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sath_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 3:15am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic