ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single button PTT switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave @ Flag Mountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single button PTT switch
    Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 11:56am
Hi folks,
I wanted to mention there is a single button push to talk switch available for sale online if anyone wants to try it. The cost is rather high but might be worth it for some of you. Flag Mountain does not have any connection with this vendor.

Here’s the link to the hand held push to talk switch that can be programmed to activate any key: http://www.delcomproducts.com/productdetails.asp?PartNumber=706400

The foot operated version is here:

http://www.delcomproducts.com/productdetails.asp?PartNumber=703600-SM

Cheers,

Dave Logan

ATCpro Project Team
dodougla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodougla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:47pm
I'm not sure they make this anymore so the price is pretty high if you can find one, but I picked up one of these a few years ago:

A regular Plantronics Starset headset plugs into it and it 1. Acts as a USB Sound device for audio in and out and 2.  Acts as a 1 button game controller for PTT

Hook up an H31 Starset to it and you've got the same form factor for the headset and PTT that real ATC uses.
Avwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 10:36pm
I wonder if something like this might work. It's certainly a whole lot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/KingMas-Control-Keyboard-Action-Switch/dp/B008YPLFF2/

Andrew Jones
ChrisC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:45pm
The Plantronics handset dodougla mentioned is the same one we used in the FAA when I was a controller (different connector, but same housing) and I'd recommend that -- it plugs into your USB and the button shows up as a joystick button the sim recognizes.

The standard FAA headset was/is Plantronics' glass tube headset such as their Supra H251 model which plugs into the above PTT handset. I recommend that too and use it myself.

The single-earphone takes some getting used to, but it's standard in real world so you can hear your assistant sitting next to you.

We also had a foot pedal for push-to-talk when I worked at the Center anyway, although it was metal and heavier duty. Some used it but I think most used the handset.

Also the H31 Starset headset that dodougla mentioned, some controllers do use, but it doesn't hold on to all ears (it never fit mine). I think most facilities have a choice of headsets you can use, including that, an H251 or similar, or a thing for people with glasses that clamps onto the side bar and has a rubber "bippy" earpiece like the H31.

Edited by ChrisC - 13 Jan 2016 at 9:44pm
crbascott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crbascott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:36pm
Andrew,
I saw your post and figured for $11.50 - why not. The foot pedal switch arrived today and works like a charm. I've been looking for something like this for a while. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Thumbs Up

Craig
Avwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 12:11am
Cool.  So great to hear that it worked for you.  Have not tried it out myself yet, but I may give it a go in the future.  A lot better that shelling out $60 or $100.

Andrew
RadarContact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadarContact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 12:37pm
I have the Plantronics USB PTT dongle, however, I cannot get the sim to recognize it as a PTT device. Any ideas?
steko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by RadarContact RadarContact wrote:

I have the Plantronics USB PTT dongle, however, I cannot get the sim to recognize it as a PTT device. Any ideas?

If windows does handle it as a game controller try it the way i suggested:
http://atcpro.flight1.net/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=30&KW=&PID=635&title=ptt-a-device-issue#635

Otherwise if it is possible to assign a keystroke to this PTT button you may use CTRL, but then you'll experience the bug where the transmission is getting jammed after approx. 30 minutes.
So you may want to assign another button and use "vJoy", which creates a virtual joystick where you can map a key to a joystick button. Works very well, i use it for my special buttons on my mouse. Make sure to do the posted procedure above for the vJoy joystick.

Greetings,
steko

Edited by steko - 21 Feb 2016 at 12:56pm
RadarContact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadarContact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by steko steko wrote:

Originally posted by RadarContact RadarContact wrote:

If windows does handle it as a game controller try it the way i suggested:
http://atcpro.flight1.net/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=30&KW=&PID=635&title=ptt-a-device-issue#635

Otherwise if it is possible to assign a keystroke to this PTT button you may use CTRL, but then you'll experience the bug where the transmission is getting jammed after approx. 30 minutes.
So you may want to assign another button and use "vJoy", which creates a virtual joystick where you can map a key to a joystick button. Works very well, i use it for my special buttons on my mouse. Make sure to do the posted procedure above for the vJoy joystick.

Greetings,
steko

Setting the game controller setting worked. Thank you!

Edited by RadarContact - 21 Feb 2016 at 1:42pm
RokkoGonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RokkoGonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 11:21pm
Just purchased the single push button. Works like a charm and is very good quality.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic