ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW to ATC PRO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATCMEGALODON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW to ATC PRO
    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:24pm
Hi fellow controllers I recently found this gem of a simulation and I am very excited about it. I played my first ATC sim Kennedy Approach on a Commodore 64 back in the day. I was a 911 dispatcher for 4 FD for 10 years and also have my RTO license. I also took flight training in Air Cadets so I am familiar with some procedures and terms. As that was quite some time ago I am excited to handle ATC PRO nicely at entry level. I am having some issues trying to know what maps to use when controlling at busier and larger aerodromes. I am also not sure of what frequencies i need to be on when selecting from an airport of multiple controlling stations and would appreciate some helpful assistance. I treat every blip on my scope as real aircraft and real passengers I love this immersion this product provides. Please feel free to message me with any suggestions. Thank you so very much. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Edited by ATCMEGALODON - 08 Feb 2018 at 2:00pm
pilot_ngb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:29pm
No doubt many of us >40 years old started out on Kennedy Approach on the C64. That is where my passion for ATC started.

Regarding your question - have you looked at the cheat sheets on the support page? There are reference cards on there that may help you.

https://www.atcprosim.com/support
FAA Private Pilot. Logged ASEL/ASES hours in US (AZ, OR, CA & WA), UK and Ireland. Passion for #ATC #Aviation #Hockey #Golf.
Stooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:59pm
I still have my original C64. I can't part with it. I have no idea if it still works, hell I don't know how I'd even hook it up to a modern TV, but it was the first computer I ever owned, and it started me on the road to IT. Literally it was the first step in my career that has spanned over 20 years now. 

Load "*",8,1
ATCMEGALODON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATCMEGALODON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 2:02pm
Yes I have tried to look up reference documents I think I will have to look them up when I get a chance. I saw a few videos on the virtual world-wide network of sim pilots and controllers although interesting I am gonnna practice more with atc pro.
pilot_ngb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 5:39pm
It takes practice.
FAA Private Pilot. Logged ASEL/ASES hours in US (AZ, OR, CA & WA), UK and Ireland. Passion for #ATC #Aviation #Hockey #Golf.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATCMEGALODON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 10:20pm
Oh for sure I went from ABQ south Radar 100 Commercial 25 Military for Arr and dep to North and South Radars with above settings and always use real weather at the aerodrome.

I had a hell of a time handling arrivals they never could find the runway i had them lined up within 30 degrees of the final heading and they were too high. I ended up changing their runway clearances with the available ones in use. The MVA kept them so high that they missed the approach. I tried ILS but none had ILS weather was interferring with VFR I wonder if i gave them the command maintain VFR if that would help.

With all thise overlays its really hard to see the runway on the scope. I am enjoying it changing clearances was on the fly with no pausing it was a quick decision that I felt might work. Anyway going to keep reading and doing its gotta click sometime. Its confusing when at larger centers what your control airspace and frequency is.
Tom@FlagMountain View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom@FlagMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 8:07pm
If you are working ABQ, then you should have the A/C at 8000 or slightly below by the time he is 10 miles out from the airport.  Any issues with command syntax?  If so, check the command list documentation.  It is very precise.

don't understand what you mean by "changing their runway clearances with the available ones in use".   MVA should not be an issue.  Did you issue an "expect runway 3" type command?

Give me some more information and I will try to assist.

Regards

Tom Murdock
Flag Mountain Software
ATCpro Project Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATCMEGALODON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 10:09pm
Well i found that the active runways are hard to line up for i am assuming the runway is dead center if the scopw the large lines are guides to verctor ac for approach. I have tried sayong things like descent via a fix it sometimes works.

The next heardest hurdle is i tried kansas city airport east departure east arrival its nit defaulting the frequencies ur on. I am also having trouble handing off aircraft in larger aerodromes ive tried to find out tower frequencies i am finding them hard to find i suggest at the control setup where you select the station you're going to run that the letter designation or frequency should be listed beside it because I have tried to click frequencies on and off to see what frequencies I should be on and I'm not sure where the sectors are laid out and where to hand off to. When I hand off to the tower after giving visual clearance after reporting insight it never seems to want to hand off to the tower yet I'm pressing the tiki and the enter key and the tower won't take it off my hands but it will disappear from the strip window after I get them to change frequencies to the Tower Albuquerque is the only airport that seems to be working for me I would like to try more advanced A airports forgive my auto-correct it's really frustrating. I can't seem to really find that information and I've gone through all the documentation I can find I'm not sure what Yankee is or foxtrot or Echo when it list the frequency window panel and I'm not sure what stations those frequencies correspond to so be helpful if there was a way to really find that out that seems to be my next issue regarding determining what frequencies I should be on. Thank you for replying I appreciate the help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATCMEGALODON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 10:10pm
I would also appreciate more tutorials for some of the other Advanced airports the little more explanations given the Albuquerque ones are good but there's a lot more advanced procedures and me larger airports and more helpful tutorials would be appreciated if somebody could do those as well I've looked at every YouTube video I can find on it and it doesn't seem to be very many of them.
JimOrlando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimOrlando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 10:08am
A lot of the information you're looking for can be found in the "Operational Information" for the TRACON. If you haven't created them, from the duty desk click the "Operational Information" tab, select the facility you want in the drop down box, then click "Create PDF". You also should download all the quick reference (qr) pdfs from the website's support page. And you should always observe any new sector for a while (usually at least 30 minutes, more for the busier and more complex sectors). This will give you a feel for the flight routes, handoff sectors, etc. Also starting with "auto handoff" on will help with getting familiar with adjacent sectors since the AI will almost always initiate handoff to the proper sector.
For handoff to towers, in my experience (I've worked all but ATL) you don't actually perform a handoff like you would to an adjacent sector. Once the aircraft is cleared for the approach, simply give the tower frequency ("FLG3939, contact Knoxville Tower, 121.2")
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic