ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > ATC Pro Official Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 'controller'-question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabnpmb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 'controller'-question
    Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 7:00pm
I 'found' this sim by accident, and I got to tell you, this is just so AWESOME.  Love the various ways you can control sectors.  Anyway, I installed the custom tutorial files and was running Lesson 6 (ILS and RNAV) at ABQ.  SKW4462 comes in via LOWBO STAR, but my flight strip says CURLY.  

Am I doing something wrong?  SKW4462 follows the lesson just fine, but it's just the wrong STAR on the flight strip.

Also, I had a C208 at ABQ as an arrival (I forget the session but wasn't a lesson).  I told him to expect RNAV 8 approach.  When he was near CMSTR, I gave him the RNAV clearance, but then he came back and said he couldn't do the RNAV approach as he didn't have the equipment.  I got him in via ILS.  Is there a way to figure out what equipment he has BEFORE I tell him to expect a certain approach?  I'm sure maybe that is in the manual somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, back to some scope work..Thanks
Alpha117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 12:16am
Just would like to add to this with regards to STARS and SIDs.  In this same video on the initial contact the aircraft is given a 'vector', when it has been already assigned a STAR by the previous center controller. The next ATC command given by ATC is a descent.
1.  Why, when the aircraft is assigned a STAR already(is it?), therefore already know where to go and also the descent profile to meet any waypoint altitude restrictions.  What the aircraft will not know is the 'approach type' (ILS, RNAV or visual). Would the initial contact go something like:

SouthWest 44 62 continue as filed expect ILS rwy 08 approach. What this says is 'OK Mr aircraft continue on your assigned Arrival(STAR), but here is you approach (ILS, RNAV).  Now the aircraft has ALL the data in the FMC the descent profile will be calculated and the aircraft will start his descent at the correct time(VNAV descent). ATC has no more need to give ANY instructions until just before the FAF and then gives the final landing clearance.  SouthWest 14 28 cleared ILS 08 contact tower at marker or SouthWest 44 62 cleared ILS 08 contact tower when fully established 

Surely the only time you would 'micro mange aircraft' by taking them off of a STAR/SID is due to traffic or traffic flow issues?

2. The waypoint in the flight Strip, is just that and NOT the STAR the aircraft will fly? You have to assign the STAR to fly?

3. Does ATC Pro, use the airport 'preferred runways' for Arrivals and Departures or just uses the current winds?

4. The current AIRAC cycle is 1810; but currently ATC Pro is using Historic AIRAC data with 'live' weather; potentially giving incorrect waypoint STARs and SIDS names. Will ATC Pro going forward have the ability to update its AIRAC data?

5. Could someone confirm that the MSA data is correct, seems to low?

Hopefully the ATC Pro Aircraft data TAB will give the aircraft's arrival capability

LOWBO 3 is a RNAV arrival 
CURLY 3 is an ILS\RNAV arrival

Edited by Alpha117 - 07 Oct 2018 at 2:12am
Aryto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aryto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 10:20pm
 rabnpmb: 
You are correct in that it's just a discrepancy or bug mismatch. Curly and Lowbo arrivals are both from the northwest, but CURLY is a few miles east of Lowbo. Additionally the Lowbo is an RNAV arrival, while CURLY is not.

For your second question, I haven't looked super closely to see how well the game emulates this, but this information should be on your flight strips, leftmost column, 2nd line.
example:
In your screenshot you have SKW4462. In the flight strip on the left you have:
SKW4462
CRJ9/E <-- This is where you look for equipment info
IFR

As you can see in the example above, the CRJ9/E is telling you this aircraft is a Bombardier CRJ-900 and the "/E" tells you that it has equipment capable of advanced RNAV and a transponder with mode C. You can find what each of the "slash codes" are on the FAA Flight Strip Equipment Suffixes Table. You will mainly be concerned with the RNAV and Advanced RNAV codes to determine if the aircraft can accept an RNAV approach clearance.

Some useful terminology there:
DME: Distance Measuring Equipment. A basic navigational radio.
Transponder: Radio equipment capable of reporting the 4-digit code assigned by ATC and allows them to be tracked. "Mode C" means it also reports altitude.
TACAN: Military based navigation system.
RNAV: Area Navigation. Effectively, allows aircraft to follow routes which are more complex than basic point-to-point navigation.
FMS: Flight Management System. Computer commonly found on airliners to load flight plans and aid in flying them (especially when combined with the plane's autopilot system).

Aryto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aryto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 3:14am
Taking a stab at your questions too,
1. I believe the game tries to imitate a clearance from center to their STAR so they come in aligned to them and mostly have appropriate altitudes when handed off to your approach space. However the AI approach controllers don't seem to assign STARs and instead just vector planes. In practice in the game, I always have to assign the STAR or vector them myself. 
So my initial contact is usually "DUSTY26, Albuquerque Approach roger, expect vectors for the (visual/ILS/RNAV), Runway #." OR "DUSTY26, Albuquerque Approach, join/descend via LOWBO, expect runway 8." at ABQ I get weird things happening assigning runway 3, like them still flying STARs towards 8, or planes freezing or vanishing once aligned to the localizer for 3.

2. Yes, I agree with this, even if only because a STAR is named with a number after it and every time I see STARs in flight plans, they include the number (LOWBO3, not just LOWBO). In practice in the game, you have to assign the STAR.

3. Seems to open all runways just according to winds. They have some procedures in the Arrival Procedures section of the airport Operational Info tab which I expect are supposed to mirror facility procedures (assign runway X if entering from Y, etc.). You can really decide whatever you want as long as it's an active runway, which means you can follow the procedure for preferred runways just fine.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic