ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

keyboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttjager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:26pm
I think the Genovations keyboard is top quality.  I would highly recommend it if you were OK with only 48 keys and no back-lighting.  The failure came when trying to download the config file from their software back onto the keyboard.  You make TONS of updates as you tweak the layout. It was doing just fine (at least 40+ uploads of the config file), then all of a sudden I started getting error messages about the keyboard timing out during the upload.  I tried everything including uploaded a new config file with only one key programmed.  No luck.  The entire time, it worked just fine with the last config file I was able to upload.  

In the end, I took it as a sign to spend the extra $100 and get the keyboard I really wanted in the first place.  My goal is to simulate the ARTS/STAR keyboard as best as possible with ATC Pro, even though it's kind of ugly and functionally crappy.  No QWERTY layout and the number pad is inverted.  With ATC Pro's on-screen DCB, you really don't "need" most of the functions on a keyboard.  But, I'm all about realism.  I don't consider myself a "gamer" who is "playing" a game.  I am a professional pilot who is trying to simulate the TRACON environment as closely as I can.  I've spent more money than I care to admit on a HUGE monitor, second monitor for strips and comms, foot pedals and hand-switches to key my mics, and I even have two different Plantronics headsets - the exact headsets used by the FAA.  I'm looking at buying an industrial grade trackball set-up, not because it's better than a mouse, but because that's what they have in every TRACON I've ever been in.  All I need is a real strip bay!! Big smile

I'll keep ya'll posted on my progress.  
COMM/INST FW/RW HELO CFI/CFI-I/CFI-NVG
Sath_99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sath_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 12:06pm
andrewatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 9:43pm
Ttjajer please keep us updated with the new board. I think I might try the 40 key one and maybe just keep the number of updates down to a min to avoid running into the issue that you had.

All this talk of custom keypads and giant monitors... I know what I want for Christmas!

SW3, SW4 Captain in CYYC
Tom@FlagMountain View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom@FlagMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 11:01am
You can go simple or go fancy with programmable keyboards.

I just bought the Acepha T9 Pro for testing. (~$24 on Amazon).  There are a couple of other 20 - 40 key programmable units, but they cost $100 and up.  Logitech has a full keyboard that is programmable, but again cost is north of $100.

Will report my experiences with the T9, and would like to hear what others have tried and  how well they work.

Regards
Tom Murdock
Flag Mountain Software
ATCpro Project Team
ttjager View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttjager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 1:30am
I received my new X-keys® XK-80 USB Keyboard this weekend.  This is how I have configured it for ATCpro at this point:

This is a shot with the blue LED back-lighting ON.

Referring back to my post last week, I was using a Genovations 48 key pad.  I really liked it and its programmable interface software.  I was disappointed when it quit working.  The new XKeys pad is pretty cool and works as advertised.  It just costs a too much.  I'm going to keep it, but I don't think it's worth the money I spent.  That said, it's really nice having the full 80 keys with 2-layer programming, so there is technically 160 macros allowed.  As you can see, I have 10 keys that are unprogrammed on my 1st layer.  

I highly recommend the Genovations pad, but the max number of keys is 48, so . . . you're call.  My goal was to use something close to the standard (ugly) FAA keyboard I posted a photo of before.  Trying for that realism even if it costs me. Wink

TJ 
andrewatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 7:36pm
Looks good!

After hearing your comments I might go for the 48 keys version. Its tough though as I'm mapping it out in excel and 48 keys isn't enough but 80 keys is too much! Pinch
SW3, SW4 Captain in CYYC
ttjager View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttjager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 6:23am
80 keys is awesome.  Almost worth the $$$!
ndsamuelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndsamuelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 7:51pm
I use a Logitech G510 with 18 macro buttons on the left side and have programmed it so I can hit a button to show me just the approaches, just the departures/arrivals etc. Also I simplified using the * T SLEW SLEW so that I hit the macro over the a/c I want to measure from then just click where I want to measure to. Same with the TPA rings and the cones. just have to hover over them and hit the macro key. I'm still working on other stuff to put on here, but I have a setup for each airport so I can just hit the setup button and it sets my radar range etc. Just my two cents' worth!
andrewatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 7:41pm
Well I couldn't resist. This is my early Christmas gift to myself.

I bought the Genovation CP48. I read what happened with ttjager and his issues with it the keypad timing out. This did happen to me once very early on. The keypad timed out and couldn't load the file, but after rebooting it seemed to be fixed. I've had no issues with it since.

This is my current layout. It's got al the scope tools on the left 2 columns, the DCB controls at the top, a full numberpad and all the handoff positions I need clustered in the center. I just need access to a color printer so I can color coordinate these groups!

To anyone who is considering buying this piece of hardware - I really recommend it! It's so easy to program, very intuitive, and enhances the experience a lot. I can put away my qwerty keyboard and do everything with these 48 keys. Maybe next year I'll spend the extra money and get the 80 keys version.

SW3, SW4 Captain in CYYC
ttjager View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttjager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 1:05am
Andrew:

Nice board!  Very clean.  Enjoy!

TJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic