ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

keyboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snaxx45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: keyboard
    Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:15am
Anyone know where I can purchase one of those ATC controller keyboards-not a real one but(you know the one with the pretty, bright colors)...hehe
deltamike172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltamike172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm
Generally speaking, the stuff controllers use on position are specialty custom government contract equipment.  There is a big push in the online VATSIM community to get the headsets and the keyboards and the trackballs and the printers, but they really aren't available to the outside world.  The closest I've seen are some websites that sell "custom" keyboards for companies.  Keep an eye out though!
snaxx45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snaxx45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by deltamike172 deltamike172 wrote:

Generally speaking, the stuff controllers use on position are specialty custom government contract equipment.  There is a big push in the online VATSIM community to get the headsets and the keyboards and the trackballs and the printers, but they really aren't available to the outside world.  The closest I've seen are some websites that sell "custom" keyboards for companies.  Keep an eye out though!

Nice! that would very much add to the realism this sim..its great!
andrewatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 1:20pm
Ive actually looked in to this a fair bit. A company called Fentek Industries has custom programmable keyboards available. The keyboards come with macro programming software and as far as I can tell this would be compatible with ATCpro. I've experimented with macros and they definitely do work with the program. The only thing holding me back is the price for the custom keyboards - over $200 USD for the one I would want.

You can relabel the keys and make them color coded to look like the professional ATC keyboards.

http://www.fentek-ind.com/kp80xkusb.htm#xk-80
SW3, SW4 Captain in CYYC
snaxx45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snaxx45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by andrewatc andrewatc wrote:

Ive actually looked in to this a fair bit. A company called Fentek Industries has custom programmable keyboards available. The keyboards come with macro programming software and as far as I can tell this would be compatible with ATCpro. I've experimented with macros and they definitely do work with the program. The only thing holding me back is the price for the custom keyboards - over $200 USD for the one I would want.

You can relabel the keys and make them color coded to look like the professional ATC keyboards.

http://www.fentek-ind.com/kp80xkusb.htm#xk-80

Very nice! Thanks for the info...and you're right, that is a hefty price tag....oh well, time to save up.
Big smile
gwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 5:45pm
I've been looking into keyboards, too and then thought about my programmable mouse.  I tried and failed to program F10+d  (or F10 + anything).  It would be nice if those hot keys were ALT +  instead of F10.  Anyone else interested in whining for control of the hotkeys?

Edited by gwa - 18 Sep 2017 at 5:48pm
Gene Anderson
ttjager View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttjager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 2:24am
I recently bought a 48-KEY USB CONTROLPAD

This is a good quality keyboard and the programming is easy through a well designed program that comes with the board.  You don't have to search all over the net to find it.  It's got good docs that are actually written in English for a change - not translated!

I spent a few hours programming it yesterday.  Figuring out how you want to lay it out is the real challenge.  Programming it is EASY!  I was trying to recreate the "theme" of a real ATC keyboard.

They're actually pretty ugly right?

I'm trying to lay it out so it's functional for ATC Pro, but sticks with the "theme".  I've only used it for a few hours of controlling ABQ and I've made several mods.  Here's where I'm at so far.

I added a small bead to the BRG, J3, and 5 keys so they would be more tactile like the F, J and 5 keys on a qwerty keyboard.  It's a work in progress.  My only regret is that the pad is not back-lit.  That cost another $100.  

If you like, I'll post updates and I keep tweaking it?

TJ 

Edited by ttjager - 25 Sep 2017 at 2:26am
andrewatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 10:09am
WOW! that keyboard looks great!

Are those key labels just printed from your PC? Please do keep us updated as I'm very interested in doing exactly this once I have some more free time and money lying around.

SW3, SW4 Captain in CYYC
ttjager View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttjager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 3:05am
I really LIKED this keyboard . . . until this afternoon!  It worked flawlessly while being programmed and during use; however, today it stopped accepting the custom config file and continuously timed-out.  Major bummer.  This was my latest version . . . 

It's headed back to Amazon now.  

So . . . for $100 more I bought an 80-key model for PI Engineering that has dual color, programmable LED back-lighting.  It's the one Andrew mentioned earlier.  I searched the web high and low and could not find a better fit for this sim.  It wasn't available on Prime, so it might be a week away.  I'll keep you posted.  For now, it's back to the qwerty board with programmable hot-keys.

TJ
andrewatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 8:26am
Damn that's a bummer! Hopefully the new keyboard will work. It looks awesome none the less!

Edit: do you think that this means that the Genovation brand isn't compatible? Hopefully PI Engineering X-keys ones will work

Edited by andrewatc - 26 Sep 2017 at 12:16pm
SW3, SW4 Captain in CYYC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic