ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Headsets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headsets
    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 1:38am
Hello all atcs,

Which headset are you using? Also is anyone working with this hyperx cloud stinger or astro a10 or Microsoft lifechat 3000?

Maybe also recommend to me is a usb connection better or the normal 3.5 audio and microphone jacks better for the speech recognition?

Cheers, thanks

Edited by Ryan - 02 Feb 2018 at 3:25am
Rman
JimOrlando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimOrlando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 7:34am
I use a Logitech H390, $20 on Amazon. I would estimate about 99% recognition. I've worn it occasionally for two hours and it's comfortable.
AlanR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 10:47am
My old headset broke, and I wanted one that just hooks over the ear, so I got on ebay and got a cheap one for $3.95 with a 3.5mm jack.  It's called a Frisby FHP-30N.  I can't believe how well it works.  I get almost flawless recognition, and wear it for two hour sittings with no problem.
Alan
rain94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rain94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 3:09pm
Ryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 3:11pm
Ok great thanks guys so far i am jotting down notes to check which ones i am going to purchase. Do you guys have a good sound card in your system like these expensive ones or just normal ones that come with your pc?
Rman
rain94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rain94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 3:17pm
I'm using the one that came with my motherboard. The Logitech that I mentioned doesn't require a soundcard if you plug into the USB port. The adapter that plugs into USB port is a soundcard in itself. You do have the option of plugging the two jacks into your soundcard without the included adapter, but you lose the 7.1 stereo sound capability.
JimOrlando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimOrlando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 9:02pm

Mine just has a USB plug. You have to make sure if you have any other devices that have microphones (some monitors and webcams do) that you make the headset microphone the default in windows. Other than that, works fine and the external speakers are still functional.

Stooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by rain94 rain94 wrote:

I'm using the one that came with my motherboard. The Logitech that I mentioned doesn't require a soundcard if you plug into the USB port. The adapter that plugs into USB port is a soundcard in itself. You do have the option of plugging the two jacks into your soundcard without the included adapter, but you lose the 7.1 stereo sound capability.

7.1 in a headset? 

A 7.1 surround sound setup comprises 7 speakers with 1 subwoofer. That's a mighty big headset.
Also, with a 7.1 there has to be a center speaker that sits direct in front of you. It might do some software magic to simulate a 7.1, but in any event it is not that important in this game.

If you decide to go with analog, be careful of what you purchase. Many of them are geared towards cell phones which means the speaker and mic are combined into one plug. Most computers have a separate jack for microphone and for speakers, neither of which are compatible without an adapter. There are some headsets that do come with an adapter, but some do not as they are marketed towards cell phones. I use analog and it comes with an adapter. I'd tell you which one, but I honestly have no idea and it is not written on the headset itself.

Whatever you do stay away from anything bluetooth They tend to introduce weird lag, and they rarely have a good microphone. If they do it would be at a higher price point than other choices you can make.

One last thing: If you go with analog you have the option of only plugging the microphone in, and the sound can still output through speakers or even an actual surround sound system. I do that by hooking my laptop to the AV receiver which turns the TV into a giant monitor and I get to annoy the rest of the family as I geek out pretending I'm directing planes. 

Edited by Stooge - 02 Feb 2018 at 11:25pm
Fly_for_pie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly_for_pie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 3:25am
Logitech G930.  Just plug in and go.  Works great.  Found my set for a bargain on Ebay.
Tom@FlagMountain View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom@FlagMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 7:54pm
I have been using a Microsoft LifeChat LX-4000 headset since the beginning of development of ATCpro. Very pleased with it, not expensive, and highly recommended.
Regards View Post
Tom Murdock
Flag Mountain Software
ATCpro Project Team
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic