ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hand-off dings - is it me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd1004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hand-off dings - is it me?
    Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 9:30am
Handing off to sector:

1. I press "C"
2. Slew with left mouse select on target
3. Wait for data block to become solid green and position symbol to C
4. Once #3 happens, issue frequency change to sector frequency (yes I'm using correct sector freq)

5. Get dinged for "forgot to handoff contact first"

Is it me or what?
JimOrlando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimOrlando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:48am
What day/time are you working? What facility/sector are you working? What sector are you handing off to? I found, for example, at ABQ a/c going to FIREY, if you initiate handoff early while the a/c is still beneath C17 airspace, the computer will attempt h/o to C17 when it should go to C16. So the first thing to do is make sure the computer is handing to the correct sector. I've gotten out of the habit of using only C, I always specify the sector, even when it's obvious.
apd1004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd1004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 11:46am
First, a bit of a disclaimer... I don't have a lot of hours in ATC Pro lately. I ran it about a year ago for a couple months and then didn't touch it again until a couple days ago.

Pretty much everything I've learned so far has been a progression in this order:

1. Watch the tutorial video. 
2. Do what he does in the tutorial video.
3. Keep playing the sim for a while after the tutorial video time period ends for practice.
4. Download real world products such as arrival and departure procedures and ILS/LOC/RNAV diagrams to get an idea how things go in RW.
5. Read JO 7110.65W to get definitions of terms and procedures I'm not 100% sure of.
6. Keep practicing with more and more traffic.
7. Try a different airport.

In this particular instance from the OP, I am at #7 above and am running MIA for the first time. I was running 1N (north approach) and the a/c in question was an overflight coming from east to west from Sector 21. I'm going to run it again to see if maybe I tried to hand it off to the wrong sector. The sector boundaries are a little complex on MIA and looking at the diagram now I believe I may have tried to hand it off to Sector 20 when I should have maybe given it back to Sector 21.

That being said, I was on ABQ yesterday and had the same problem happen several times, although I didn't make note of the parameters of the events at the time. I do remember thinking that everything appeared to be in order for handoff. I do remember that after the tag turned solid green and I gave the FC and got dinged for not doing the handoff first, the contact started flashing white again but then went back to solid green.

In the tutorial video 4b, he initiates handoff before the a/c has reached full handoff altitude, although he has given c&m FL200 to the a/c and it appears on the strip.

I'm going to start making note of the parameters of the event each time to see what's going on.

I did not know you could actually specify the sector you want to handoff to. Is that done by entering "C17" instead of just "C"?

Thanks!
apd1004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd1004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 1:08pm
Yep, tried to change freq to R20 freq when I should have used R21 freq.
Stooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by apd1004 apd1004 wrote:

I did not know you could actually specify the sector you want to handoff to. Is that done by entering "C17" instead of just "C"?

Thanks!

Yes, that is the correct format for specifying a center sector.

deltamike172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltamike172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 2:52am
Yes, this is referred to as "addressing" the handoff to a specific sector.  Always handoff to the sector that owns above the boundary departure gate, not necessarily who owns directly above the plane at the time you initiate the flash.  In real life, keeping the plane climbing is a Center point out responsibility.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic