ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Complete Noob - A couple of Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orinocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complete Noob - A couple of Questions
    Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:13am
Hi 

I’m very impressed with the game, but I have a couple of questions, and wonder if anybody can help me with them.  I have searched the web and have got some answers and partial explanations, but nothing really definitive. 

Could you tell me what the various modes mean and what they are for?  I know from my searches that FSL stands for Full Service Level, but no idea what this means in practice.  I’m guessing that ESL is something Service level, and no idea what FMA means. 

With regards the Sites button, I know that you can pick individual radar sites or select fused or multi.  My understanding is that multi means overlapping radar antennas and your scope shows the return from the sensor the aircraft is nearest to.  Fused blends all these overlapping feeds into one continuous stream of data.  From a sim perspective, this means that in multi mode a track updates every three seconds and in fused mode, every second.  Have I got this correct?  If so, is it the case that fused is the optimal setting and should be used if at all possible?  Or are there cases when it is preferable to use multi mode?  What are the benefits of using multi over fused mode?   

What does the Dwell button do? 

Any help or advice will be gratefully received and appreciated.

Stooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:51am
Short answer:I can't answer most of it, but dwell does not do anything in the game as far as anyone has been able to ascertain. 

Longer answer (I could be wrong about all of this, though as I'm not a radar expert)
Time dependent radar requires numerous factors to take into account to determine the precise coordinates of a target. One of those is dwell time, which is the time the radar beam spends on a single target. The longer it spends on that target the more hits (returns) it gets, and the more accurate the location can be ascertained. This depends on the rotation speed of the radar itself. The slower it spins, the more accurate it can determine the location of a target, but since it means the radar revolves in a 360 degree rotation at a slower speed it takes longer to do a complete sweep. 

You can either get quick sweeps with semi-accurate location or you can get a slow sweep with very precise accuracy. However, planes move fast, so generally you want relatively faster sweeps and a general idea of where the target is. You're not trying to shoot the thing down (I hope) but more get a general idea of where it is.

Also, if I recall, most aircraft actually have a transponder that sends the data to the ATC system of where it is located, speed, position, etc. and the traffic system relies on that more than it does the actual sweep of a radar. I am not sure about that, though. I do know that this what contributed to the cause of the loss of Aeroperu Flight 603 out of Lima, Peru. They had a loss of reliable flight instruments in the plane, and the ATC was trying to give them their position, altitude, etc. What neither the pilots nor the controller knew was that the data the ATC was telling the pilots was not coming from a "radar" but from data the ATC was itself getting from the plane. Which meant that the pilots and the ATC were both working from faulty information and the plane hit the water. 

Edited by Stooge - 13 Feb 2018 at 11:52am
Stooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:56am
PS -- in case you wanted to know the loss of flight instrument accuracy was because the plane had been washed and the static ports covered with tape (as is normal procedure) however the tape was not removed because the person who cleaned the plane, as well as the pilot who did the walk around failed to notice the tape. Mostly because the guy who cleaned it used silver duct tape and the walk around was performed at night. It was rather easy to miss silver tape over a silver / white colored aluminum plane.

The worker who performed the cleaning actually went to jail over it. Which I thought was rather harsh for a guy who just cleaned airplanes and was not exactly a flight engineer with full understanding of how a 707 operates and what those ports even do.
Orinocco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orinocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:50pm
Stooge

That all makes perfect sense.  Guess from a sim pesrpective, no need tp worry abpout that then.  Thank you for taking the trouble to reply back to me. 

I agree it seems very harsh jailing the cleaner.  After all the pilot missed it too, so he cocked up as well.  Easily done like you say, but a cock up nonetheless.  But if jail was insisted on, then surely the pilot should have got the jail as well.  He was just as culpable.  I personally would have settled for colossal bollockings all round, plus an official and final warning and a lot of extra training around cleaning and pre flight inspections.  But hey.  That’s just me.  And maybe that’s why there’s no way I’d be in charge! Smile

Stooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 4:16pm
Well he died, so jail wasn't an option for him. In fact, they recovered only 9 bodies of the 70 on board. The rest sank with the plane and likely drowned. In fact they (as well as Boeing) were sued by a majority of the victim families (41 sued in all) and it was one of the largest settlements for a non-us carrier in history. Each of the families received around 1 million each. 

It was on the show Mayday (it is also called Air Crash Investigation or Air Emergency depending on where you live). Which is a good series, I highly recommend it. In fact, it is what lead me to this game, just wanted to play an ATC and this was the only real option for a true, well done, voice control system. It felt stupid typing out commands in other games (which I won't list the names of) so it was nice to find this one. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic