ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Atlanta Departures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atlanta Departures
    Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 11:18am
Recently I tried the Atlanta Departure positions, specifically the North one, using a West flow.

For my first go I only had Commercial departures enabled.

I see take-offs mostly on the middle runway initially assigned to position S. The ones that will turn north bound are handed off to me.

But... what should I say when they contact me? 'Radar Contact' was already done by the S controller. They report to me by saying 'Climbing out of xxxx', but not their assigned altitude.

So, I listened to the S controller. He usually will tell them 'climb unrestricted, maintain 14000' after the planes tell him the plane is climbing on departure or SID. Then he hands them over to me.

I decided to just repeat the climb command (well, without 'unrestricted', which I could not get recognized). When they approach ~12000 I start the handover to center, which results in them continuing their climb without stopping at 14000.

However... I got assigned a flight with 10000 as cruising altitude in the flight plan, so instead of telling it to climb to 14000 I told it to climb to 10000.

Bam! Airspace violation, can not climb a flight out of your airspace.

Ok, what should I have done?

Then a plane takes off from one of the north runways. It contacts me directly, FL280 in the flight plan, so I tell it to climb and maintain 14000 for now... again: Airspace violation, can not climb a flight out of your airspace.

What am I doing wrong?

Daniel
BjornMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BjornMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 12:21pm
Are you sure you're not climbing them in to the Feeder airspace?

Atlanta North Departure (West)

Edited by BjornMa - 08 Oct 2018 at 12:22pm
Daniel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 1:00pm
That could very well have been the case for the departure of the northern runway.

Still, the Center Departure controller also assigned them 14.000 in the SFC-100 space.

I'll see what happens when I assign them 8000 or maybe I should not mess with them if they are following a standard departure or sid.

BjornMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BjornMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 1:16pm
What you can do is "point them out" to the feeder controller. Command: 1D* and then click the departing aircraft. This will allow you to control your aircrafts inside their airspace. Just remember to use the asterisk, haha.
Daniel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 1:53pm
Ok, will give that a try as well.

But indeed, if I assign 10.000 or lower there is no problem, even if the AI controller is able to assign 14000. So, I'll just say Roger, or assign them 9000.

I noticed another thing while experimenting. A departure on 'my' runway contacts me, saying it's on the SID. I ask them to Say Altitude.... they say: 4300 for 0 and immediately there is a CA alert until I assign them an altitude. Ah well, probably won't have to ask that at that point anyway.
BjornMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BjornMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 2:26pm
Yes, I would just assign them to 10000, at least if there are a lot of approaches coming over. 

And for the 4300 for 0, sounds like a bug, don't know if the developers know about it.
Usually they should say what altitude they are at, and the altitude they are going to on initial contact.

Sath_99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sath_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 3:42pm
Incoming traffic from D is at 11000, so the A/C must stay beneath them.

Give them a clearance to 10000 and when they're in your airspace up to 140000, clear A/C to 140000.

Then hand A/C off to Center.

(works for me)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic