ATCPro Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ATC Pro Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ABQ 26 visual approaches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlovetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ABQ 26 visual approaches
    Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:36pm
How do you guys handle them? The high terrain in the east prevents descent to the final approach altitude so you have to keep them high and get yelled at when you clear them for the approach. I haven't figured out a decent way to do them yet.
dr1980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 5:47pm
I usually clear them direct to volunteer, and step them down as they cross safe altitude changes. Haven't actually had the issue of them being toomhigh for approach (unless i'm not paying attention and forget to descend them!)

Edit: Oops, sorry i got TYS and ABQ confused...if it helps here's an RNAV approach for 26 at ABQ that might provide some ideas...the FAF is not in line with the runway.

Edited by dr1980 - 07 Jan 2016 at 5:52pm
mlovetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlovetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 6:44pm
Yeah but the MVAs are at like 11k not the FAC for 26 and if you keep them at the MVA it yells at you. Bringing them over the mountains to the south of the airport and then descending them and turning them back north has helped but they do inconsistent and crazy things when you clear them for a visual on a downwind for some reason.
Tom@FlagMountain View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom@FlagMountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 6:56pm
When I work west flow at ABQ, I tend to like to use RNAV.  The pilots take care of themselves.  It's almost magic.  For A/C without RNAV equipment, push 'em to 21.  Also discovered that if you have a flight on the south side, head him east about 7-8 miles south of rwy  26, and once he can see the airport, clear him for a visual approach.  When you watch his altitudes, you can see that he does drop below the MVA for this pattern, but you won't get a squawk on it.  For flights coming in from the north, you can thread the needle on that lower mva strip on the north side of 26, and then clear them in for a visual approach.
I heartily agree that working west flow at ABQ is challenging! Wink
Hope this helps.

Tom

Edited by Tom@FlagMountain - 07 Jan 2016 at 6:57pm
Tom Murdock
Flag Mountain Software
ATCpro Project Team
mlovetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlovetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 7:35pm
It does. I didn't even think about 21. The RNAV approaches work okay but sometimes they won't follow the tracks from CADAT or the other IFs and they end up doing some weird things lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic